இலக்யா

Friday, August 14, 2009

Living in a Conundrum

What leaders do after retiring is a case to study. When most of our leaders in India never retire (Even when they want to retire, they make their sons or daughters their political successors), leaders of other countries often surprise us by pioneering or participating in meaningful initiatives.


Charismatic
Bill Clinton is a charismatic leader who pioneers. Some charismatic ones like Vladimir Putin take up alternative leadership roles. And the likes of Tony Blair are often seen as a fading star, but still they’re stars.

Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez enjoy much public respect and admiration of their people in spite of the negative projections foreign media make about them. Charisma has always been a major factor in the success of leaders.


Deserving Respect
Some leaders, though not charismatic, are still role models and make things happen. They are the DOERS, insisting persistence and perseverance. T.N.Seshan, who revolutionized the Indian electoral system, is one such leader. He was praised by the common man but often seen as a villain by politicians.

Kiran Bedi is a rare breed made of both charisma and administrative skills.


Brave and Beautiful, she made things happen, wherever the political iron hand tried to dump her. Transformation in the Tihar jail will tell what she achieved.

When we look at the East, Wen Jiabao and Hu Jintao demonstrate how to run a country without compromising on self-respect and integrity.

Looking back at India, I see the government run by the Prime Minister, who is run by the Congress leadership.

I see the Chief Minister making government portfolios his family possessions.

I see the ministers who don’t even attend 50% of the Parliament sessions and those who don’t even ask a single question there.

I see statue mania.

I see the petty politics leading to water wars between the states of my country.

I hear about voters being bribed, harrassed, or just ignored with their names not figuring in the rolls.

I read about the ‘donation’ collected by ministers through their colleges and schools.

I experience the lack of information and reluctance of public servants to provide information to the public.

I ask why the government bus driver drives so slowly, to get the answer that he, like every one else, has bribed a few lakhs of rupees to get the job. He can’t take any risk until he ‘earns’ at least the money he has put in.

I realize that I have to bribe two thousand rupees to get the thirty thousand rupees due to us after our grandfather’s death.

What has happened to this land of Gandhi?

I live entangled in a corrupt conundrum.

I wonder what makes this country go on?

It’s a miracle.

No comments: